Thursday, October 31, 2013

Customer Service… Yeah not so much…

Now I know it’s been a while since I posted anything here, but for the most part given the current political climate and the fact that the Republican Party has not just run off the rails, but has lost their minds since Mittens lost the election I didn’t feel like posting a weekly obscenity filled rehash of the most recent GOP brain fart.
This blog was my way of voicing my opinion of politics in American, but today I’m going to post something a bit more personal.

I’ve been buying parts for a new computer for a while now because my old machine was 6 years old and had finally whimpered No Mas… No Mas, thrown in the towel and died.

Some might have heard that in August I was able to purchase the last few parts for my new machine.  One of the things I got was a brand new Samsung 24” wide screen computer monitor. Now because I was having the computer built from parts it has taken some time to get the parts to the place building it because I no longer have a car.  I’ve had to rely on friends to get the parts to the shop for me since no one has a car I can borrow since I’m in an electric wheelchair.  Once the monitor arrived I tucked the monitor away because I don’t have the machine built.


Last week I found out the computer was built and running so I unpacked the monitor with the intention of having it ready to go once the computer itself arrived.  This is where I run into the first issue…  As I unpack the monitor I realize the power pack is missing.  So the next morning I call Tiger Direct to get some help and they tell me I need to call Samsung USA.

I hang up with Tiger Direct and call Samsung USA at 1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800 726-7864) and talk to a very nice young lady who is cheerful, listens to my problem and tells me it’ll be no problem to send me the missing power pack.  All I need to do it get them a copy of the receipt and they can send it right out.  I ask about emailing them a PDF of the receipt since it’s an electronic receipt from Tiger Direct.  She tells me that’s no problem, gives me an email address to send it to, tells me since it’s already after 5 pm EST that the office is closed, but that they’ll call me sometime tomorrow.  The email subject line should include my name, my phone number and the case number… I thank her for all the help and let her know she gave me the best customer service I’ve ever received.  This is saying something because I’ve worked in I.T. so I’ve dealt with a lot of customer support.  I get off the phone, make the PDF and send off the email.  The next day I get a call from them, correct a bit of confusion about the problem.  They woman on the phone was going to send me a shipping label to send the whole thing back, but I explained all I needed was a new power pack.  She said ok no problem we’ll send it out ASAP.

****  Insert Jeopardy Music ****

A week later there was still no sign of the power pack for the monitor, no communication from Samsung USA in either a phone call or an email with the tracking number.  Today I get on the phone and call Samsung USA again… 

1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800 726-7864).

Call #1… Customer Service person #1
I make the call to 1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800 726-7864) and get connected to another customer service woman who shall we say was less than helpful, It seems that because I did not call them within the first 30 days from the date of purchase of the monitor, they take no responsibility for the missing power pack, but I can call the part supplier and buy… BUY… a new power pack.  I rant a bit ending with “So what you’re telling me is sorry Sir, but you can double pay for the part we should have included in the first place and we won’t send you because we have a rule put in place by either some Marketing Hack or one of our Lawyers so we can weasel out of correcting our mistakes,”
The customer service drone apologizes for about the 12th time saying I’m sorry Sir but it’s our policy.  This manages to piss me off even more and I ask to speak to a manager.
She asks if she can put me on hold, I say yes, she puts me on hold to listen to some bad muzak hold music and I wait… and wait… and wait… until I get the dial tone.

I say a few choice words that would have made my mother use both my first and middle name with a disapproving glare.

Call #2… Customer Service person #2
I call back to 1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800 726-7864) and get a NEW customer service drone that has a marginally better ability to speak English.  No, oddly enough I’m not speaking to someone in India, it’s someone here in the good old USA who seems to speak something like a cross between English and old Gabby and his authentic frontier gibberish from Blazing Saddles.
I explain the issue YET AGAIN and get the same results… She gives me the number for the part supplier… I now have steam rolling out of my ears and still have a $193 paperweight disguised as a Samsung 24 inch monitor.

1-800 SAMSUNG (1-800 726-7864).

I take a few minutes to calm down before the next phone call…

Call #3… The Parts Supplier…
I make the call and find out that the part is going to cost me with shipping and handling an additional $66 and change… so I’m paying just over an additional 33% over the price I bought the monitor for so it will work due TO NO FAULT OF MY OWN…!!!
I tell them I just needed to get the price and I will call them back after I get paid to order the part.

Now I’m just pissed…

My phone rings…

Hi this is (insert random unpronounceable name) from Samsung USA, I’m calling about your monitor…

*** I don’t remember much of this conversation because she told me yet again they would not send me the part that was missing even though it was THEIR mistake.  This made me so pissed my thought was … Nice way to pour salt into the wound ***
I do remember asking her what was the point of this call since you’ve told me nothing new and have NOT solved my problem. All she’d managed to do was tell me to re-buy the part THEY forgot to put in the box.

I know if I was a corporate customer they’d have done everything to get me the part short of sending the monitor to me with a complimentary hooker and a bottle of 12 year old scotch.  However,because I’m just some Joe Schmoe consumer I get the big F.U.
The worst part is I really don’t have the money this month to spend on the power pack, but I need it cause the computer is done and I certainly don’t have the money to buy a monitor from another manufacturer to replace it.


*** Update ***


I called the parts company today to order the power pack and I’m informed that the part I need is on back order and they have no estimated date on when it will be available.

No comments: